You probably know about the challenge/readathon my friend & co-blogger Charlotte @ Tea Leaf Reads organised for February. The name – FFFeb – is pretty telling, as the main premise was to read f/f books in February. Ideally, only sapphic ones.
The second most important part was talking about the f/f books you were reading on twitter. Sapphic books can always use more attention! If you follow me on twitter (@ heresthepencil), you might have noticed my reading threads.
To wrap-up the whole challenge, though, Charlotte came up with a book tag as well! And that’s what I’m doing today! There are 12 questions to answer total, so let’s see how I did in February!
MILLIE QUINT: How many books did you read?
I started the month off really well, but then I got into a reading slump somewhere in the middle of it. So I only read ten (10) books.
DOMINO SWIFT: How successful were you in only reading f/f?
AYLA: Did you set yourself a tbr and did you complete it?
Yes, I did have a TBR. Charlotte and I set reading lists for each other. She chose 3 books for me out of which I have read one (The True Queen by Zen Cho). And I also had the Reads Rainbow Book Club book on the list, which I didn’t read & a book my other friend put on my TBR, which I also haven’t read…
LIKOTSI: How many challenges did you complete?
I didn’t really set out to do any of the 9 challenges Charlotte came up with, but accidentally managed to check a few of them. So let’s see.
- combine reading sapphic books and books by Black authors: NO, even though I had The Stars and The Blackness Between Them on my tbr
- read a book set outside of North America: YES, on the virtue of reading a number of fantasy books, one of which was set in Malaysia and Great Britain (The True Queen)
- read a book with a lesbian mc & li: YES/NO, it’s just hard to say because I’ve read mostly sff books which didn’t use our labels
- read a book with a bi mc: YES, it was Steel Crow Saga
- read a book with a pan mc: NO, but I’m just saying that because, again, it’s hard to judge with all the sff books
- read a book with a polyamorous romance: NO
- read a book without a romance: NO, come on guys, you know me better than that
- read a book by an author you’ve never tried before: YES, actually apart from Mary Oliver all the authors that I’ve read last month were new to me
- read an ownvoices book: YES, In The Role of Brie Hutchens
AUDRE: Which was your favourite read and why?
On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden because 1) there is not a single man in the whole story & 2) basically everyone is sapphic, and also it’s just really beautiful.
XIULAN: Which was your favourite ship and why?
The name Charlotte used for this question is giving away my answer: Xiulan & Lee from Steel Crow Saga. I loved their banter and how they grew to trust each other.
MUNA: Did you read any new authors? Who was your favourite?
Like I said before, there were a lot of new authors for me, and I think my fav was Rin Chupeco. I’m really excited to read more by her!
ROSA SANTOS: A book you were recommended and loved.
Steel Crow Saga, which I mentioned before (thanks, Charlotte!) but also the graphic novels series Goldie Vance (thanks, Adiba Jaigirdar and Charlotte!).
LEI: A book that was on your tbr for a while.
I think Shatter The Sky was on my tbr for the longest time (since April 2018). It was definitely worth the wait, though!
EVELYN HUGO: A book which you didn’t like as much as you expected to.
Sadly, The True Queen. It was fun but I was hoping it’s gonna be better.
GOLDIE VANCE: Are there any books you wish you’d read but didn’t have time?
BARU CORMORANT: A book which wrecked you.
I’m afraid none really, but I did cry while reading Mary Oliver’s poetry, as I always do.
And that’s all the questions from Charlotte! This was fun, but also made me realise just how little I read…
Did you participate in #FFFeb? How did it go for you?